Today I finished priming the bay window. It’s all white and kind of boring, but it looks better than it did before and the wood will be protected during the winter months. I still have some (a lot of) caulking to do, so don’t look too carefully!
The scraping, repairing and patching took much longer than I had anticipated, and it had to be squeezed in between the extraneous bits of chaos collectively known as “life”. During the process, however, I was able to determine the original color scheme for the bay. I still don’t know the color of the surrounding siding, but will discover that in the spring when the hideous vinyl starts coming down.
I do know the original color for the metal shingles in the gable ends, however! Surprisingly, they were painted a bluish green which can only be described as seafoam. While we will probably use the seafoam again, I am open to tweaking it a bit. So, when looking at the color renderings at the end of this post, try to imagine this color in the gable above the bay window… it may sway your opinion as to which of the three options look best.
As a side note, I’ve been uncovering more information about the history of the house and it is proving to be quite colorful — and at times tragic. More on that when I’ve got more dots connected!
First we’ll look at the bay window’s evolution over the past few months: