Yesteryear’s Update

People have been remodeling buildings ever since they started building them.  Here is a structure which was began as a two story brick office building sometime in the 1920’s. In the late 1940’s or early 1950’s it was modernized and given an extra floor in the process.  None of this is evident from the sleek modernist facade, but a look at the sidewall tells the story:

 

The interesting modernist front dates to around 1950.

 

The changes in masonry along the sidewall reveal the building’s roots.  The heavy band of buff brick once served as the cornice when the building was only two stories in height.

 

Detail of the handsome granite entry.

 

Detail of the three planters which are adjacent to the entry and anchor the wall of glass above.

 

 

Leave a reply